Thug Life

"Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong.  The key is to never stop doing right."





Quote: from The Hate U Give 

Karma sometimes makes you feel like you DID something, and this is why the bad is happening.  Or all those other phrases, "You close a window to open a door."  I am a true believer in karma and if you throw alot of negativity and shit out into the world, you will get it back.  BUT sometimes you get the short end of the stick.  You worked hard, you were nice to people, you paid all your bills on time, and called your mama regularly and you sometimes, terrible still happens.  Throw more good into the world than bad and you will see your reward.

Image resultI highly recommend this young adult book The Hate U Give.  The way it was written was modern without seeming like one of my students wrote it.  The story itself was a page turner and coming of age story of an issue that is very much current.  As a white female, my life is very different than Starr's.  I have worked in an elementary school in Ferguson, Missouri right after Ferguson was a place people knew nation wide.  I have a little more perspective than the average white female of my upbringing.  But like my first grade babies, I NEVER had a talk from my parents about how to interact with the police.  (That being said, the police get a bad rep lately and they are also getting shot at... the book and I both know and recognized that.  I'm telling ya it is a good book.)  But white privilege is a thing.  People like to fight that all the time and NO.  I saw a good repost on IG, "Dear white people, no one is saying your life can't be hard if you're white but it's not hard because you're white."  The book is about a girl who had had a lot of trauma in her life, lives in a bad neighborhood, and parents send her and her brothers to a private school 45 minutes away.  She has two personalities, her private school personality and her home life one.  She witnesses a shooting that should not have been and shows how she deals with it all.  I gave it to one of my friends who is hardcore Facebook poster against my point of view to see if NOTHING else they could develop some empathy that it doesn't matter if you are a 'Black lives matter' or a "Blue lives matter' kind of person.  It means the same thing folks, a life matters.  AND they should all matter the exact same.  *END RANT*

Comments

Popular Posts